Patients need a comfortable cardiac screening experience that enables them to easily enter and exit the exam bed, while ensuring an accurate test is conducted.
Technicians need a portable bed that does not add physical stress to themselves and allows them to perform echocardiogram exams in rural areas of their local communities.
Update Fall 2020
Primarily our team has been focusing on fixing the FEA of our project's CAD model and attempting to model ways to reinforce the weakest points of our design. We were able to attach the previously uncooperative leg component to the assembly of the bed and have managed to test the assembly with more complete simulations that what we previously had. Additionally, we have nearly finished with the conceptual design of our new backrest component, which will hopefully allow the bed to transition from inclined to reclined quickly. We have made other small adjustments such as designing additional supports to take weight off of the bottom corners of the bed and deciding to add cuts of neoprene sheets to the bottom of the feet of the legs in order to improve the bed's stability through increased friction.
Since design review we decided to scrap the welding plan (too expensive/difficult) and are working on creating and testing a non-welded version of the frame. We may go back to welding if the tests on the non-welded version fail by a wide margin. We were having issues with inventor so we also moved our files over to fusion 360; this allows for live collaboration as well, but has came with a learning curve.
We have primarily been focusing on the backrest mechanism for the bed. This has mostly entailed modifying the inflatable wedge that the backrest uses in order to adjust. The previous air pump was too slow, thus we have done some preliminary testing with a new air pump that borrowed from the BME department. We have since submitted a purchase request for our own air pump. The new air pump was significantly faster, but it was also significantly louder, so we are working on designs to reduce the noise expelled. We are making purchase requests for materials that will be needed for the construction of our prototype as well.
One of the first things we did after testing the new air pump was starting to design an adapter that could be used to create a secure connection between our new air pump and the hose on the inflatable wedge. We took measurements from the hose and pump and used them to create a CAD model that we were then able to use to 3D print the adapter. Once we all went home for Thanksgiving break, we transitioned to working on documentation and CAD more frequently. This has included creating a list of parts that can be added into a purchase request at the beginning of next semester, as well as some drawings many of our CAD models. We also started brainstorming potential transportation methods for our prototype.